Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fanatical Followers

 It's frequently suggested that most of the world's problems stem from fanaticism.  Is it true?  Is the world coming apart at the seems because there's too much religious fanaticism?  

The answer I would give is no.  Fanaticism isn't the problem; it's the object of your fanaticism that creates the problem.  As I stated in my sermon, Have you ever met an Amish terrorist?  Of course not.  Yet the Amish are some of the most fanatical people in the world; they're just fanatical about following Jesus, specifically, letting Christ's love and grace shape the way they relate to others.  

With that in mind, I call everyone to be a fanatical follower of Jesus.  Listen carefully to that sentence.  I don't want you to be fanatical about a principle, or a doctrine, or an agenda, or a particular church, or a particular way of worship.  These little "issues" that each person holds dear in his or her heart are annoying at best and divisive at worst.  All of these things are necessary, but they are necessary for only one purpose--helping us learn to live and love like Jesus lived and love.  Giving yourself to love, to be loved and to love, is the best thing you can do with your life.  Anything less than that is not worth our devotion.  

Again, please think about what I'm saying.  I'm saying, let's allow Christ to inhabit us--his love and grace.  Is there any better way to live?  I can't think of one.  I'm ready to fanatically follow this one who has fanatically followed me.   

May God raise up an army of grace-filled, love inspired Christians.  
  
Peace.


 

2 comments:

SDavis said...

Wow! I loved how your point was made regarding fanaticism. The fanaticism of The Lord in his love and care and zeal for our wellfare. Imagine allowing the Lord to Open our heart, eyes, ears, mind, body, and soul to the fullness of absorbtion of his fullness; Pressed down and overflowing fullness! What a picture of fantastic fanaticism at work! That sure puts legs to "Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of The Lord forever!

SDavis said...

I was led to do a study of the word [seek and seeketh] in the KJ the last couple of days, and it has been a blessing and an encouragement to see how many scriptures are seeded by those words. Take a look and see!

The Lord seeks to save and protect mankind. He is the good shepherd.

Mankind is commanded, by God, to seek The Lord and His Face.

The Enemy seeks to destroy and hinder mankind. He is a roaring lion.