Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The Long Longing

"For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face.  Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known." (1 Corinthians 13:12-13, NRSV)

As I prepare for this Sunday I've been thinking about these words.  They capture the great longing I have.

Paul recognized that we don't see clearly right now.  We don't have the answers to all our searching questions.  Nor do we have solutions for every problem.  Truth be told, all answers create more questions; and all solutions create more problems.  We live in world tainted by sin, distorted by evil.  Life lacks clarity.

But one day we will see face to face; and we see/experience God fully.  Interesting, the longing we have is relieved in a full experience of God.

Paul continues with this thought but now in a different key.  He recognized that we know only in part.  We don't understand everything about life and faith.  But one day will know fully as we have been fully known.

The last line arrests my attention.  We are held in love right now--as we have been fully known.  We are fully known right now because God is love.  One day we will know fully.  The longing we have is relieved in knowing God in love.




No comments: