Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The Liberating Ignorance of Knowledge

Two things I have come to believe over the years:  First, when we know little, we think (and act!) like we know a lot.  Secondly, when we know a lot, we recognize how little we know and learn to live without all the answers.  In short, true knowledge leads to ignorance.

To put it another way, too many people don't know enough to know what they don't know.  It is a tragic place to be.  

You often find this trait among leaders.  They assume they have answers; when in reality they don't even know the lay of the land, or the people they're trying to command (cue the rap music).   Too many leaders have foolishly acted like saviors, assuming they can fix things, even though they haven't lived with the problems long enough to know the complexity of the situation.

Or, you find this dilemma among coaches.  The coaches who are truly knowledgeable recognize how little they know, which makes them hungry for more.  Other coaches who know little assume what they know is right and never change.

It is not unlike what I often say about parenting.  Before I had children, I was the best parent in the world.  I had answers.  I knew exactly what other parents were doing wrong.  Then, something funny happened:  I had children.  Suddenly, I recognized that everything I thought I knew did not apply. I learned quickly that context matters.  After all, each child is different; every situation is complex; all personalities require a unique approach.  One could argue, I know more than ever before; and yet, I recognize how little I know.

So if there is a point to this rambling it is this:  Be humble and hungry.  Have the humility to learn, listen and wait.  Trust me, it will save you a lot of embarrassment.  Second, stay hungry, my friends.  The more we know, the less we know, and yet the more gracious and helpful we become.  

No comments: